April showers bring May flowers they said……..
In recent year, severe rain has took a toll on many Canadians causing flood damage in homes. The consistency of the downpour adds insult to injury with the ground already saturated there is little ability to absorb further rainfall increasing the risk of flooding, particularly in low-lying areas.
Here are some simple prevention tips to prevent flooding in your home:
- Make sure that the ground area within three metres of your home slopes away from your home’s foundation.
- Extend downspouts at least three metres from your home
- Direct water flows from downspouts away from your home, being careful not to discharge the water too close to the adjacent property.
- Preventative landscaping can also help reduce the chance of a mudslide or flooding.
- Clean the gutters and the drainage downspouts attached to your roof at least twice a year.
- Have your roof carefully inspected at least once a year by a knowledgeable professional
- If your house or commercial lot is at risk of flooding from a higher neighboring property, consider building a solid wall masonry fence on the water-vulnerable boundaries of your property.
- Be vigilant for warning signs of an impending water flood problem.
- If flooding occurs, be familiar with how to shut off electricity, gas, and water at main switches and valves
Please note that our staff is available to take calls, answer questions and begin the claims process if needed. Our Claims Department is prepared for and anticipate an increased volume of customer claims.
Dalton Timmis Insurance
Toll Free: (888)-385-8466 (Option 4: Claims) | www.daltontimmis.com